Rochdale Town 2-6 Cheadle Town

We rather like The Mayfield. This was our fifth win there in our last six visits in all competitions and it was a win executed in emphatic style with an impressive, measured performance that had everybody's nerves eased by half-time.

It was 'Dale that registered the first decent chance on goal, in fact. On 6 minutes they managed to force their way through in the box and force Steve Piggott into an excellent close-range block.

Three minutes later we opened our account with our first significant effort on goal. Mike Sherrington got onto the end of a ranging pass and controlled it superbly before firing home into the bottom corner.

'Dale kept nibbling away at us and got their reward just before the quarter-hour. After an effort was cleared off the line the resulting corner saw Burgess unmarked at the far post and he had the easy task of tapping home.

We responded immediately.

Rick Whyatt was put through on goal but saw his effort blocked with him then hooking a shot inches wide of the post after Mike Sherrington had headed the ball back into his direction from a long throw-in.

It was Mike that got us back into the lead on 17 minutes.

Receiving the ball on the left of midfield he went on a diagonal run towards goal and looked as though he had given the 'keeper a chance to smother the ball with a heavy touch but one last flick of the foot poked it under the keeper's body to restore our lead.

A lead which was then extended with two quickfire goals after the half-hour mark.

Neat interplay across the edge of the box resulted in Liam Tongue finishing sharply with Thabiso Magida then going on a run down the right, cutting back inside and advancing on goal before tucking home at the near post.

Unfortunately we had lost Mike Sherrington to injury just before half-time but his replacement Josh Stevenson got into the action early doors in the second half, firing just wide after a neat turn and then striking the upright.

On 57 minutes we got our fifth, and Liam Tongue his place at the top of our goalscorers chart by beating the offside and slamming home from the edge of the box.

Carl Fitton converted a penalty for the home side to reduce arrears on 62 minutes but the victory never looked in any danger as we started to manage the game well for the remaining period.

In which there was one more goal and a hat-trick for Liam Tongue after he profited from some good work down the right from Josh Stevenson who had pulled the ball back for him to finish with ease from close range.

What happens now is out of our hands. We've done everything that we can to secure a play-off place; nine points in the last three matches was a must and that was achieved, albeit with a few hearts-in-mouths on the way (Daisy Hill).

If the footballing gods are going to be kind to us this season we need St Helens to fail to beat Hanley Town tonight [Thursday]. Should they manage to win then all is not lost; we just have to rely on Daisy Hill going to Bacup Borough and getting a win.

All being well our next game will be the play-off semi-final on Monday night, either away to Barnton or Stockport Town. Failing that...well, that's it, I suppose, and keep your eyes peeled for the end-of-season reviews on here.

But let's hope I don't have to write those for another week yet.

TEAM: Piggott, Dunn, Pearson, Trucca, Young, Moores, Smallwood (McLaughlin), Tongue, M Sherrington (Stevenson), Whyatt (Horan), Magida. SUBS: Nsimbe, Horan, McLaughlin, Stevenson.