Northwich Victoria 2-4 Cheadle Town

If only we could replicate this kind of form in the league. And there endeth the moan.

What a wonderful afternoon. Despite conceding first (a bad habit we seem to have got ourselves into this season) we turned this tie around with some sumptuous play and deservedly booked ourselves a trip to Shawe View on Saturday 3rd September to take on Trafford in the First Qualifying Round.

It was Vics who bookended the scoring pattern. After 16 minutes they took the lead when Byrne's cross was met by the stooping head of Cockerline from close range with Byrne then netting a penalty deep into injury time.

In between that we scored four wonderful, well-worked goals, rendering Byrne's spot-kick as mere consolation.

Only five minutes after Vics had opened matters, we drew level thanks to Sam Noar; collecting a through ball from Liam Tongue on the left he powered forward and drilled home from the angle.

A quarter of an hour later it got better for us. With half of the Vics defence to deal with, there didn't look a lot on for Mike Sherrington when he received the ball on the edge of the box. With sheer determination, however, he managed to find a way through, shimmying at the last moment to work himself some space in the box and finish neatly.

The 2-1 lead we took into half-time was reward for the excellent shift that we had put in once we had got the equaliser, but with the sound of the Vics manager's words ringing in their ears (it wasn't hard to avoid hearing the dressing down they were getting in the boardroom next door), we had to be wary of a second half backlash.

Thankfully for us it never really materialised as it was us who started the second period on the front foot.

Just four minutes in Mike Sherrington almost caught the Vics keeper in no man's land but his effort was blocked with Luke Hincks then seeing a snap shot well held.

Just before the hour mark we extended our lead with a wonderful, flowing move.

Chris Sherrington, on his return to Cheadle Town, flicked a pass on the left to Luke Pearson who swung a tempting cross in first-time for Mike Sherrington to sweep home from the centre of the box.

Vics then enjoyed a better spell, putting us under pressure, mainly from corners and dangerous crosses that were either headed just wide or hastily cleared by our back four.

With all of the pressure soaked up and with the match entering stoppage time, we made sure of our place in the next round for sure.

Whereas Richard Whyatt had a shot from close range saved, Thabiso Magida was a bit more successful a minute later, slamming a cross home from close range to the sheer delight of everybody concerned. It was his first touch after coming on as substitute.

Our thanks to Northwich Victoria for their hospitality. We wish them all the best for the coming season.

The 3rd of September can wait. Between now and then there are two league matches to deal with and six points up for grabs....

TEAM: Jupp, McLaughlin, Pearson, German (Magida), Shaw, Dunn, Hincks, Tongue, Noar (Whyatt), M Sherrington (Tosum), C Sherrington. SUBS: Piggott (gk), Whyatt, Tosum, Russell, Magida, Horan.