Stockport Town 1-5 Cheadle Town

The pre-match "big derby" and "bragging rights" hyperbole finally gave way to a game of football on a blustery Good Friday at 1.00pm.

Regardless of who we were playing - Real Madrid, Barcelona or, in this case, Stockport Town - a win was required to arrest the run of five-without-a-win that we had undeservedly racked up. The job was executed in emphatic style.

An edgy opening quarter-hour was broken by the first attempt on target when Rhys Webb tested the home 'keeper with a shot from the edge of the box that was palmed over.

Some sloppy play on our part then resulted in a chance for the home side which Dane Smith was thankfully equal to, racing off his goal-line quickly to smother the oncoming danger.

Then on 25 minutes a controversial moment. Stockport's no5 blatantly right-hooked Liam Tongue as everybody was waiting for a corner sending Liam into a crumpled heap. Unfortunately - and annoyingly - the incident wasn't spotted by the referee and the atmosphere would have been even more poisonous had the said offender's header from the corner crept inside the post instead of hitting it.

But thankfully there is something called karma, and it started to kick in just before the half-time whistle was sounded.

Thabiso Magida - who had come on for the struggling-with-injury Justin Pickering - drove in a shot that was palmed away by the home 'keeper with the loose ball pounced on by Rhys Webb who blasted home from the angle to give us the lead.

Three minutes into first-half stoppage time our advantage was doubled, and it was Rhys Webb on-hand again, coolly turning home a teasing George Blackwell cross from the right.

Dane Smith was out quick from his line again right at the start of the second half to thwart danger before we got our third with the second half only four minutes old; Magida netting one for himself this time, cutting in from the right and drilling home inside the near post.

Dean Nolan - on for the injured Tom Russell - flashed a shot just wide on 69 minutes before we turned it into a thrashing on 73 minutes: a good advantage was played by the referee allowing George Blackwell to seize onto a loose ball and beat the keeper to it, poking it through his legs.

The home side then had a minor decent spell, one in which they grabbed a consolation goal on 79 minutes before we made the result even more emphatic with just three minutes remaining thanks to substitute Rick Whyatt who worked himself free on the left of the penalty area before seeing his effort take a slight deflection and spin in over the keeper's body.

A complete performance that, as alluded to earlier, achieved one main target: breaking the type of winless streak that no team wants. If you want to chest-beat about winning a "derby" then be our guest.

TEAM: Smith, Todd, Dunn, German, Tongue, Pearson, Hincks, Russell (Nolan), Webb (Whyatt), Pickering (Magida), Blackwell. SUBS: Whyatt, Banda, Nolan, Magida.