Cheadle Town 1-0 Abbey Hulton United


Job done...

The players warm down after their victory

Not only a first win at home but, in the face of the rather erratic start we had made, the first consecutive victories.

Again it was a result that was earned in the second half, again we had Daniel Whiting to thank for some excellent stops and again it was Rick Whyatt popping up with the goods when it mattered.

His sixth goal of the season came with just two minutes of the match remaining. By then the game was well and truly into the "one goal will win it" stage and we're glad to say that it was us who bagged it.

As the ball was lofted into a crowded penalty area substitute Robbie Robertson did a splendid job in holding it up. Steaming in with intent was Rick Whyatt to blast home Robbie's pass from close range.

In a match that could have gone either way the chances had swung to-and-fro.

Hulton made the better start and forced us into clearing danger as early as the 3rd minute and had a decent chance headed wide just two minutes later.

Our first opportunities came soon after. Danny Jones latched onto a loose header across the face of our area only to plant his shot wide with him then getting on the end of a Whyatt cross from the right only for him to shovel his effort hopelessly wide.

Danny Whiting then came to the rescue on 14 minutes as we lost possession in midfield and Hulton's no3 charged down the right, sending a teasing cross to the far post for what looked like a certain goal only for Danny to pull off another great block.

A Danny Wood wayward effort and a Jake Ambrose header straight at the keeper took us to half-time with the deadlock yet to be broken.

It was us that made the better start to the second half.

George Clarey sent in a cross from the right straight to Whyatt's feet but his effort was straight at the keeper before George had a go himself, skidding a shot in from the angle on the right which the keeper had to scramble away.

Danny Whiting made another great block from close range just before the hour with George Clarey providing for Rick Whyatt again from the right, sliding in at the near post this time only for it to go over the bar.

An awkward long-range daisy cutter which Danny Whiting managed to claw away came inbetween two Rob Brocklehurst free-kicks, the latter of which was spilled with nobody nearby to capitalise.

In the wake of Rick Whyatt's ultimate winner there was still work to do as Hulton pushed for an equaliser but we managed to keep them at bay, even having time for Robbie Robertson to charge down the field and force the keeper into a save.

A decent three points - Abbey Hulton United are a decent outfit - which takes us up to the lofty heights of 5th place.

We can turn our attentions away from league matters this weekend as we travel to Rossington Main for the FA Vase.

TEAM: Whiting, Dunn, Harrison, Russell, Shaw (Delaney), Brocklehurst, Ambrose (Ratican), Wood, Jones (Robertson), Whyatt, Clarey. SUBS: Delaney, Ratican, Robertson, Piggott (gk), Marsden.