Sandbach United 5-0 Cheadle Town

Deja vu. Times two.

For the second successive season Sandbach United have all-too-easily elbowed us out of the First Division Trophy and for the second successive competitive match against them, they have handed out another severe beating.

As well as being sick of the sight of Vauxhall Motors this season (three matches, two draws and a hefty defeat), Sandbach United have also added themselves to the list of persona non grata (two matches, no goals scored and twelve conceded).

All smiles. It was good to see Matthew German returning to the Cheadle fold.

All smiles. It was good to see Matthew German returning to the Cheadle fold.

A relatively promising start saw us hold our own with the most telling venture into the Sandbach area coming on the 12th minute as Rhys Clooney just couldn’t stretch his legs out long enough to connect with Callum Collinson’s driven cross.

Both Tyler Devlin and Dane Smith then worked their defensive wonders to keep the home side at bay with a well-timed header and a superb reflex save respectively.

But then, on the 39th minute and on the back of what looked like a soft decision, Sandbach’s Buckley swept home a free kick from just outside the area.

We were almost on terms straight away as Ruben Abreu charged down the left channel and looked set to score only to have his effort smothered by the keeper.

With half-time beckoning Sandbach extended their lead. A swift counterattack saw them advance down the right with the resulting cross volleyed home at the far post by Kirby.

Newcomer Ryan Rogers

Newcomer Ryan Rogers

The next goal was always going to be vital. At 1-2 we still had a chance; at 0-3 it was always going to be difficult.

Unfortunately it turned out to be the latter.

Sandbach had already clipped a decent chance wide of our post on 49 minutes before they actually popped it home two minutes later as Kirby - him again - raced down our left and made the most of us not dealing with a clearable ball before tucking it under Dane Smith’s body.

Just after the hour mark Ruben Abreu missed a glorious chance to get us on the scorecard as he stabbed wide from a Luke Hincks cross.

Sandbach’s fourth came shortly after that when O’Riordan bundled home from close range after a corner of theirs seemed to travel across our goalmouth in slow motion with their fifth coming on 73 minutes after Lane curled an effort right into the corner from the edge of the area.

Mssrs Sherrington and Clooney

Mssrs Sherrington and Clooney

There was two more gilt-edged chances for Sandbach to edge closer to matching their seven-goal haul at Park Road but thankfully they were in charitable mood.

Rhys Clooney’s scorching effort that flashed inches wide was the final note on another defeat where the ‘against’ goals tally has been freakishly big. We’ve only lost five matches in all competitions this season but those five have seen 2 goals scored and a massive 27 conceded. Very odd.

Next up is a tricky away trip to Alsager Town (for league business) on what is the annual Non League Day….

TEAM: Smith, Wallace, C Sherrington, German (Ratican), Devlin (Naughton), Delaney, Abreu, Hincks, Rogers, Clooney, Collinson (Knight). SUBS: Christopher, Ratican, Knight, Naughton, Whiting (gk).