Eccleshall 3-4 Cheadle Town

Putting the manner of the victory to one side for a moment, my goodness me did we need that win.

We travelled to Staffordshire on the back of seven league matches without a victory and had got ourselves into a bit of a funk.

History dictated that this was the perfect opportunity to break that bad run. On each of our previous six visits to Pershall Park we had come away with all three points and last season's 32nd league match of the season just happened to be one of those said victories.

We did make it seven consecutive wins at Eccleshall but in the most astonishing manner possible.

Astonishing because at the 83rd minute we were 1-3 down and looking fairly hopeless, having had a raft of chances but conversely being sloppy enough to have presented Eccleshall with three [successful] opportunities to score.

Rick Whyatt got us going after just 3 minutes, latching onto Chris Sherrington's head-back only to fire straight at the keeper before Chris himself burst down the left but unluckily saw his cross cut out with Mssrs Whyatt and Cotton lurking at the back post for what would have been an easy finish.

And more...and the match was barely 15 minutes old.

Luke Cotton headed over a Whyatt cross from close range with us then failing to bundle home a Chris Sherrington corner that caused all sorts of chaos in the Eccleshall box.

Joe Nield was through on the right but perhaps hesitated too long thus allowing an Eccleshall defender to nip in before Liam Delaney then sent a vicious dipping shot just over the bar.

On the half-hour, the sucker punch.

Eccleshall's no 11 Daniel Needham was sent scampering down the right with only Joe Shaw for company. He managed to cut inside and send a precise angled drive past Danny Whiting to give the home side a surprise lead.

We were rocked a bit as Eccleshall then almost went 2-0 up shortly afterwards; Danny Whiting palming away a fierce drive after we had surrendered possession in the final third of the pitch.

The first half ended with Luke Cotton heading a Chris Sherrington free kick over the bar and Rick Whyatt blazing over from close range.

We continued the second half as we had left the first.

Just two minutes into the restart Liam Delaney was in space when he met a Chris Sherrington free kick but somehow managed to shin it over the bar with Luke Cotton sending a looping header onto the crossbar on the 51st minute.

Rick Whyatt then drove one in from range on 56 minutes only to have it tipped round the post with Danny Whiting then kept busy straight down the other end, timing his surge out of his area to perfection to thwart a dangerous-looking counter-attack.

On the hour, another sucker punch.

From our own goal kick we managed to lose possession in midfield. Eccleshall shifted the ball to Louis Downs on the edge of the area for him to drill home off the inside of the post.

We delivered a response almost immediately.

Straight from the restart a Chris Sherrington cross from the left was met by a rising Jake Ambrose to nod home and get us back into the match.

Perfect. Our tails were back up again. Could we go on?

After two wild swings at the ball in our own area that thankfully didn't result in anything we went up the other end and should have equalised when Liam Delaney got onto the end of a Chris Sherrington corner but completely misjudged his effort, sending it harmlessly wide.

Our momentum was checked once more in the 71st minute when Eccleshall regained their two-goal advantage; Louis Downs again, this time with a well-placed free-kick from the edge of the area straight into the top corner.

Again, we were rocked a bit and perhaps could have gone further behind as some calamitous defending allowed Eccleshall to nip in behind us; thankfully they stabbed a good chance wide.

With just 15 minutes of the match remaining Tom Ratican had come on and had stung the palms of the Eccleshall keeper, forcing him to parry it straight to Jake Ambrose who buried the loose ball into the roof of the net. Alas, he was flagged offside and you wondered whether this was going to be our night at all.

In the space of five crazy minutes, it was.

83 minutes. Another of the substitutes, Tom Russell, floats in a lovely ball from the right which is perfect for Tom Ratican to thump home a header. We're back in it again, and with time to perhaps snatch a draw.

86 minutes. Another cross from the right but this time not hit with as much venom. It rolls casually into the Eccleshall penalty area and is left by everybody in one of those "after you, Claude" moments. Jake Ambrose steals in and manages to poke it under the body of the keeper. We're level and you know what, the momentum is with us and there's enough time to get a winner.

88 minutes. Danny Wood lofts a diagonal ball into a crowded penalty area. Jake Ambrose traps it brilliantly with all manner of other bodies and limbs surrounding him and keeps his head to calmly stab it home from close range. Absolute delirium.

In the blink of a footballing eye we have gone from despair to utter joy. Moments like that have been all too rare this season and it was good to see that we can go on to win a match having conceded first; this was only the second time that we have done so this season.

Eccleshall come to us next Monday evening. Beware the wounded animal, Cheadle. They will be hurting.

Next up for us? It's mid-April so therefore it must be Daisy Hill away. Oh yes, so it is....

TEAM: Whiting, Nield, McLaughlin, Delaney (Russell), Shaw (Ratican), Harrison, Ambrose, Wood, Cotton (Collinson), Whyatt, C Sherrington. SUBS: Russell, Ratican, Collinson, Piggott (gk)